Tuesday, March 23, 2010

New (Recycled) Ideas ~ New Challenges ~ New Rewards

January and February offered up a few quiet weeks - a good time to clean and organize my studio and fabric closet. In the blur that was November and December, fabric piles grew in corners; boxes were stacked wherever they fell; ribbons normally organized by color were strewn everywhere; patterns were misplaced.

And then there was the matter of the fabric remnants. You know - those pieces of leftover fabric that were too large to toss (I might need that someday!), but too small to really do much with. I was raised by a wonderful, but frugal Mother who taught me to recycle from an early age. Although it wasn't called "recycling" back then; it was more like "don't be wasteful."

So as I looked at all these perfectly good remnants I knew I couldn't throw them out - they don't decompose in a landfill and besides - I paid good money for that fabric! :) So I found 4 large clear storage boxes and organized my remnants by size and color and stacked them in my fabric closet. And wonder of wonders ~~ I am actually using my remnants! I have patterns for smaller animals; but better than that, always mindful to use remnants has spurred me on to creating some original designs. Granted, this is really new territory for me; but I'm finding it not only challenging, but very rewarding. I'm not a sketch artist by any means, but I'm finding I can draw some basic outlines and create some fun little guys. And I keep in mind that they don't have to be perfect (a new concept for me!) -- that a little quirkiness just adds to their personalities.

So stop by ~ and see what's new. Original critters are popping - or should I say hopping - into the shop more each day!

4 comments:

  1. Your bunnies are so cute! An animal with all sorts of remnants would look so cool! (do you already make ones like that?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Protective Mother ~ thanks so much! I've just begun to experiment with mixing fabrics, like my wee bunny Bleu
    http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=43239731
    and yes, I like your idea and plan to do more of that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I've been much more mindful about using every last little piece of something.
    Very cute bunnies - yes, the world does need more whimsy!

    ReplyDelete