Friday, November 13, 2009

That One Idea.

This being my first real experience with a retail business (or at least one that is consistent), I knew the holiday season might be busy. I have exceeded my expectations. Which is wonderful and overwhelming all at the same time. It truly is a good exercise in organization, balance, work ethic and efficiency. I just keep telling myself next year will be easier.

And the fact that I'm even assuming there will be a next year surprises me. I've only been at this since June and since that time have seen the days go from "Hey!!! I've got an order!!" ~ to ~ updating the order list each morning to be sure I'm meeting my deadlines.

That's the first time I've actually stated that so seeing it in writing both terrifies me and makes me very, very, happy, with just a smidgen of pride ~ all in the same breath.

I've never been one lacking for ideas or interests (thank you, Mom, for passing that energy on to me); nor ways to implement them (thank you, Charlie, for being such a positive influence and a heck of a good brainstormer). But this is the first idea ~ creating these little creatures that I love so much that each one, honest to god, gets a good, long hug from me before I send them off to their new homes ~ that I really believe in. And that is why I know there will be a next year.

Maybe I've had too many ideas in the past. This is different. This is my one idea.

"Take up that one idea. Make that idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. Let the brain, muscles, nerves - every part of your body - be full of that idea and just leave every other idea alone. This is the way to success."

*Swami Vivekananda*

I don't remember where I came across that quote but when I began this journey with my friends I made it my mantra.

And it is working.

No comments:

Post a Comment