Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Sum of the Parts...

that make the whole.

I know when I buy something I don't really think about all the parts that go into making the whole item.  But when I am on the other side - actually making the item - I think seriously about the parts that make up the whole. I scrutinize fabric; in fact, I've been known to get really unreasonably excited if I find just the right fabric for just the right project.  I am sure to keep my inventory of threads up to date; yes I do need four shades of pink and eight shades of blue.

In my particular business - making my Wee Ones, et al - I think the thing that really brings them to life are their eyes.  For my critters who will be adopted by kids over 3 years old, I use plastic safety eyes.  When I attach those eyes... well, that is when the Wee One comes to life.  The eyes are the window to the soul ~ even in a stuffed animal. When those eyes become part of a bear or a dog or any critter I'm working on, suddenly a personality appears.

And that is when I smile.  And that is when I know I've got a winner.

So, all that being said, eyes are a crucial part of my inventory.  And more often than not, I lose track of my inventory "count" and realize that - uh oh - I've only got 4 pairs of 12mm black eyes left!  The person I always turn to is my Etsy friend, Clara of 6060.  She always has what I need and am in dire need of.  Her response to my requests are immediate and her turn-around time is amazing!  Although we are many, many miles apart I usually have what I need in just a couple of days.

There are many times she has saved the day for me ~ especially during crunch times like the holiday season.  So I just wanted to tip my Santa hat to Clara and say thank you for your outstanding customer service!  I don't know what I would do without you!

No comments:

Post a Comment