Thursday, June 7, 2012

Know Yourself.

I go in spurts when it comes to creative projects and I will [sometimes literally] get hooked on something and will obsess with it until the next tempting project comes along.  (Do you ever do that?)  Lately it has been a return to my knitting looms.

I had a request from one of the fabulous galleries I partner with for baby blankets.  That's all I need to set the wheels in motion.  I'll do the flannel/chenille and fleece blankets, of course; but I also wanted to try my hand at a knit blanket. (I knit on knitting looms.)


I found some super soft chenille yarn and started with the only two skeins my craft store had.  I fell in love with the yarn immediately and ~ of course ~ needed at least two more skeins to finish it and couldn't find more anywhere!  So I turned to the trusty ol' Internet and YAY - found some.  The yarn arrived today in some beautiful colors.  So now I can finish my blanket and start another.  :)  And another.  And another.

{See what I mean about the slight obsession problem?}


But while waiting for the yarn to arrive I needed to feed my knitting loom obsession in some other way.  So I brought out another smaller loom and decided to make a scarf.  I started one with ordinary yarn and it was fine, but it wasn't really anything special.  I felt like experimenting ~ I wanted to work with something unique.

Then I remembered I had picked up two skeins of what I can only think to call "ribbon yarn" on sale at Hobby Lobby a couple of years ago.  I remember thinking ~ I have no idea what (if anything) I will do with these, but I like them.  They are funky and different.  So I popped them into a storage bin and promptly forgot about them. (Do you ever do that?)

What possessed me to remember them the other night ~ and even more surprisingly ~ remember where I had stashed them, I will never know.  I was pretty excited to find them and dove right in making a scarf.  It kind of looks like one hot mess, but that's the idea.  I stayed up till midnight last night knitting and I'm having a blast.

I am (of course) already thinking two things:
*1 - This would  look so funky and cute with a black outfit.  (Spoken as someone who's primary wardrobe color is black.)  I've got a special occasion coming up soon and thank you to Pinterest for the pin I found on 40 ways to tie/wear a scarf, this may just be the accent I'm looking for!

And
*2 - I wonder if I could sell these...
I am always looking for something fun and different to add to my product line and if I perfect these funky scarves and my fabulous shops show an interest, I may give it a whirl.
And I'm already scouring the Internet for more ribbon yarn....

I am reminded once more why when thinking and thinking of what to name my business, I kept coming back to something simple and somewhat generic ~ because I know me.  And I knew that my little business would be ever-changing, ever-evolving.  I thrive on new ideas so I didn't want to limit myself.

So cmh design was born.  And it continues to grow and change and - at times - look like one funky, hot mess.  But that is the fun part.  My advice to anyone starting a business?

Know yourself.

7 comments:

  1. I love the funky scarves! My Mom would love one! If you do sell them in your shop I would gladly purchase a few.
    I definitely obsess about new projects. Last Fall, I went through a Mod Podge phase and glued everything I could get my hands on! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lauren ~ I'll let you know when I've got some posted. And I knew you would understand about the whole obsessive thing. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about the tempting projects, I get the same way some times!

    I have always wanted to try a knitting loom. My mom found a great big one at a thrift store recently and I am so jealous of all the projects she's made and been working on. Next time I visit family I want to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hillery - thanks! I think those of us with that creative bug are always on the lookout for new projects. :) The knitting looms are fun and just seem to have endless possibilities. If you're so inclined you can pick up a set of three round ones (various sizes) at Wal-Mart for cheap - something like $15. Your Mom's loom sounds cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get your own home based job in data entry, copy pasting, clicking and different more jobs
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny Epic Girls, Troll Images of Girls, Girls Funny and Loll, Funny Hot Pictures of Girls
    hotentertainnews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. World's Most Latest Vehicles and Latest Cars pictures, Most speed and Expensive Cars with hot pictures
    worldlatestvehicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete